A Meatless Monday twist on a classic favorite.
This curried tofu salad makes a great substitute for the ubiquitous lunch food for anyone who needs to avoid eggs. Curry powder gives the dish an extra punch of flavor, while almonds pack crunch and additional protein. This recipe comes to us from Melissa of For the Love of Food.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tbsp. chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup vegan or regular mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp. stoneground mustard
- Dash of cayenne
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. sliced almonds
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in paper towels, setting a heavy pan on top. Let sit for 20 minutes, changing the paper towels once. This will dry up the excess moisture and allow the tofu to crumble more easily.
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu block with a fork until it reaches an egg-like consistency.
- Add the curry, salt, pepper, parsley, onions and cayenne and mix.
- Add the mayo and mustard and mix again. If you like your egg salad more creamy, feel free to adjust the mayo and mustard amounts.
- Fold in the sliced almonds and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Serve inside one half peeled avocado and enjoy!
Calories from Fat: 50
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 0g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Serves 6 – 8