Looking for a nutritious, easy to make breakfast recipe? Well look no further! This Paleo-style recipe by Pure Food Co. founders Stefanie Herrera and Brent Devlin is a packed with muscle-building protein and vitamin-packed spinach. Healthy and delicious? Sounds like a great reason to give it a try!
Spinach & Tomato Eggs Benedict Ingredients:
- 2 vine ripe tomato slices
- 2 slices of deli tavern ham
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 lean bacon strips
- 3 whole eggs
- ¼ cup of clarified butter or ghee
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
Bacon Hollandaise Ingredients:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup clarified butter or ghee
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch salt
- 2 strips of cooked diced bacon
- Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Remove from heat, whisk in diced bacon, cayenne and salt.
- Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the eggs benedict.
- If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.
Eggs Benedict Assembly:
- Bring 6 cups of water and 2 tbsp of white vinegar to simmer.
- Add two whole eggs to poach in the liquid, about 2 minutes.
- In a separate large sauté pan, add 1 tsp. of coconut oil and cook the spinach until wilted. Place on a paper towel drain.
- Next quickly sear the tomato and ham slices just to warm through, about 20 seconds.
- On a plate, first place the two slices of tomato and pile the spinach on top of each of them. Then take the cooked ham and prop it up nicely on top of the spinach and finally top each with a poached egg.
- Finish the plate by saucing the eggs with the bacon hollandaise and two wedges of avocado.
Recipe by: Pure Food Co. founders Stefanie Herrera and Brent Devlin.
Pure Food Co. specializes in helping those following a Paleo Lifestyle find foods that are healthy and make them feel good! Their recipes combine all natural meats, wild caught fish and the freshest organic produce available. Pure Food Co. creates amazing, fresh meals that look good and taste great and deliver them right to their customer’s doors! Receiving a Culinary Degree from Johnson and Wales University, Stefanie has gathered experience working as a Chef in five star restaurants and hotels with well-known chefs such as Emeril Lagasse and Bobby Flay. Brent has gained working experience at Delano and Fontainebleau Hotels in Miami Beach.
More from Fit Nation:
The 10 Biggest Diet Mistakes
Cooking from Skratch: Breaking the Prepackaged Habit
Dine Smart- Angelina’s Ristorante