Cinnamon Amaranth Breakfast Porridge
Welcome to Fit Nation’s Daily Dish! We’ve been stocking up on healthy recipes from the best chefs, nutritionists and foodies from around the country and we’re here to share the very best with you! We’ve had health experts analyze each one to make sure it boasts nutritional excellence. Each of these dishes is jam packed with the kind of energy boosting vitamins that will keep you running all day long. So get cooking (or meal-prepping), and share your pictures of your finished culinary creations with us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook by using #FNDailyDish.
Cinnamon Amaranth Breakfast Porridge, yields 4 Servings
Created By: Pooja Mottl, Natural Foods Chef & Healthy Eating Coach, author of The 3-Day Reset: Restore Your Cravings for Healthy Foods in Three Easy, Empowering Days
“The ancient ‘grain,’ or rather seed, amaranth, is gluten free and a source of complete protein. The combination of amaranth and bananas provides a whopping dose of potassium, fiber, and protein. Cinnamon and cashews help make this breakfast go-to even more blood-sugar friendly,” says Corrine Dobbas , Registered Dietitian and Healthy Living Expert.
- 1 cup amaranth (soaked overnight, drained, rinsed)
- 3 cups filtered water (extra, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup raw organic cashews (soaked overnight, drained) (optional)
- 1 ½ ripe organic bananas, mashed well
- ½ organic banana, cut into thin strips, for garnish
- Combine soaked amaranth with 3 cups water and salt in saucepan, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until water has been absorbed, stirring occasionally to prevent grains from sticking to bottom of pan. Add more water as needed for desired consistency.
- Add cinnamon, mashed bananas and cashews, gently stir to combine.
- Divide between 3 to 4 bowls, garnish with sliced bananas, and finish with a few dashes of ground cinnamon on top. Enjoy and nourish yourself!